- Recorded Session from June 10, 2020
- Level: INTERMEDIATE
- Length: 2h 27m
- Includes Digital Book – “Fluorescence of Diamonds” (2018) by Branko Deljanin
Natural, treated and lab-grown coloured diamonds can look very similar in color, but their values would differ significantly, highlighting the importance of detection.
This webinar with workshop is designed for dealers, gemologists and appraisers.
Outline of webinar (1h 15min lecture):
- UV lamp – reaction of different coloured diamonds under LW/ SW
- CPF (Cross Polarized Filters) method and instrumentation to screen and ID coloured diamond’s origin
- BROWN, YELLOW and ORANGE diamonds: sources/producers, characteristics and ID
- GREEN and CHAMELEON diamonds: source/producers, characteristics and ID
- BLUE diamonds: sources/producers, characteristics and ID
- PINK/RED diamonds: sources/producers, characteristics and ID
- Use of Standard Instruments to separate Coloured Natural and Synthetic Diamonds
- Use of Advanced Instruments to separate Coloured Natural and Synthetic Diamonds
- Grading and Certification of coloured diamonds at gem laboratories
- CGL/GRS fancy Plus system in grading pink coloured diamonds
- ID of mounted coloured lab-grown diamonds with screening instruments and EXA/J-screen instrument
- Description of instruments on the market for screening and ID od coloured synthetic diamond
PRACTICAL WORKSHOP (45min): 10 samples of natural and lab-grown diamonds (natural synthetic origin), loose and mounted are tested with, mini UV lamp (“PL/Jewellery inspector”) and EXA/J-screen Natural diamond detector.
QUESTIONS and ANSWERS (15min)