Learn more about our talented experts – Branko & Elena Deljanin
Branko Deljanin, B.Sc., GG, FGA, DGA, DUG
- Expert in identification of natural, treated and synthetic diamonds and coloured stones.
- Extensive North American experience in diamond grading and gem identification and research at major gem labs since 1995.
- Highly skilled in the use of traditional gem-testing instruments as well as advanced spectrometers in detection of new diamond treatments (irradiation and annealing, HPHT (High Pressure High Temperature, coatings, etc.) and synthetic diamonds (HPHT and CVD).
- Knowledgeable on country of origin reports on coloured stones including full treatment disclosure.
- Led research programs on gems and diamonds in Sri Lanka, Russia, Brazil, Australia, Thailand, Cambodia and South Africa.
- Well-known speaker at trade shows, gemological associations and research conferences around the world on treatments and synthetics.
- Instructor of Basic and Advanced Diamond/Gem Program at North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australia.
- Co-author of book ‘Laboratory-grown Diamonds: Information Guide to HPHT-grown and CVD-grown Diamonds’, ‘Identifying Diamond Types and Synthetic Diamonds with CPF (Cross Polarized Filters)‘, ‘Fluorescence as a Tool for Diamond Origin Identification – a Guide’ and ‘ID of Transparent Red, Pink and Purple Gems with Portable Instruments’
- B.Sc. in Geology from Belgrade University, GIA Graduate Gemologist, Fellow of Gemmological Association of GB, and holder of French University Gemology Degree (DUG).
- In 2004, 2005 and 2006 Deljanin was a finalist for the international AGA International “Antonio Bonnano Award for Excellence in Gemmology” for his contribution to world gemology as researcher and educator.
Publication and References
Booklet: ‘ID of Transparent Red, Pink and Purple Gems with Portable Instruments’ – Branko Deljanin, John Chapman, MGJ Conference 2019
Booklet: ‘Fluorescence as a Tool for Diamond Origin Identification – a Guide’ – J. Chapman, B. Deljanin, G. Spyromilios, MGJ Conference 2017
Article: ‘Origin of Pink Diamonds – are they from Argyle, Canada, Laboratory or elsewhere?’, B. Deljanin, A. Peretti , M. Alessandri, AGTA Prism, Fall 2016.
Article: ‘Stable Enhancements and Unstable Treatments of Colored Diamonds’, B. Deljanin, InColour, Summer 2016.
Article: ‘Record-Size Diamond Grown’, B. Deljanin, M. Alessandri, Dr. A. Peretti, M. Åström, Dr. A.Katrusha, Rapaport, November 2015
Article: ‘NDT Breaking the 10ct Barrier’, B.Deljanin, M. Alessandri, Dr. A. Peretti, M. Åström, Dr. A.Katrusha, Contribution to Gemology/Jewellery News Asia, July/September 2015
Article: ‘World of Pink Diamonds and their Identification’, B.Deljanin, Dr. A. Peretti, M. Allesandri, InColour Magazine, Spring 2015
Article: ‘Chameleon Diamonds – How Heat and Darkness Brint Out the Best in these Colour Changing Stones’, Business Jewellery, February 2015
Article: ‘Pretty in pink – How origin reports for pink diamonds may affect their value’, B.Deljanin. Business Jewellery, August 2014
Article: ‘New Generation of Synthetic Diamonds Reaches the Market: Lab-grown Blue CVD Diamonds’, Peretti A., Herzog F., Bieri W., Alessandri M., Günther D.,Frick D., Cleveland, E., Zaitsev A.M., Deljanin B. Contribution to Gemmology, March 2014
Article: ‘New Generation of Synthetic Diamonds Reaches the Market: Lab-grown Pink CVD Diamonds’, Deljanin B , Herzog F., Bieri W., Alessandri M., Günther D.,Frick D., Cleveland, E., Zaitsev A.M., Peretti A. Contribution to Gemmology, March 2014
Article: ‘New Generation of Synthetic Diamonds Reaches the Market: Lab-grown Yellow CVD Diamonds’, Zaitsev A.M, Deljanin B , Peretti A., Alessandri M., Bieri W. Contribution to Gemmology, March 2014
Article: ‘A closer look: Screening synthetic diamonds with standard gem instruments’, B.Deljanin. Business Jewellery, December 2013
Article: ‘A heated question, what Canadian jewellers should know about tanzanite’, B.Deljanin Business Jewellery, August 2013
Article: ‘Fancy that, A technical take on Fancy coloured diamonds’, B.Deljanin. Business Jewellery, December 2013
Article: ‘Screening of Colourless and Colored Diamonds for Synthetic Origin’ Rivista Gemmologica Italiana, Italy (in Italian), 2013
Conference paper: ‘Screening of Colourless and Coloured Diamonds for Synthetic Origin with lamp and with ID with Polariscope mounted on microscope; Extended abstract and oral presentation. GIT International Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, 2012
Article: ‘The name game, Is origin the deciding factor? B.Deljanin. Business Jewellery, December 2012
Article: ‘Shades of Jade, Are you selling the real deal? B.Deljanin. Business Jewellery, August 2012
Booklet: ‘Identifying Diamond Types and Synthetic Diamonds with CPF (Cross Polarized Filters)’, D.Simic, B.Deljanin. D&S Gemological Service, 2010.
Conference paper: ’Identification of Stable color, Enhanced colorless and Colored Diamonds, processed by Suncrest Diamonds,USA’, D.Simic, S.Pope, B.Deljanin. Poster. European Diamond Conference, Athens, Greece 2009.
Article: ‘Characterization of pink diamonds of different origin: Natural from Argyle, irradiated, HPHT treated, treated with multi-process, coated and synthetic’, B. Deljanin, D. Simic, A. Zaitsev, J. Chapman, T. Middleton, A. De Stefano, et al. Proceedings Volume of Diamond and Related Materials 2008.
Conference paper: ‘Novel Optical Characteristics of Pink Diamonds with Pink Coloration’, I. Dobrinets, A. Zaitsev, N. Del Re, J. Chapman, B. Deljanin. Poster.European Diamond Conference, Sitges, Spain 2008.
Book: ‘Diamates de Laboratorio, Guia de informacoes sobre Diamntes Gerados por HPHT e CVD’, B. Deljanin, D. Simic. GHI, 2nd Segunda Edicao (Portuguese), 2008.
Book: ‘Laboratory-grown Diamonds, Information Guide to HPHT-grown and CVD-grown Diamonds’, B. Deljanin, D. Simic. GHI, 2nd edition, 2007.
Conference paper: ‘Identification of Fancy Color Laboratory-grown Diamonds Smaller than 0.09 ct “, D. Simic, B. Deljanin; Poster.De Beers Diamond Conference, Warwick, 2007.
Article: ‘Analyzing HPHT’, D. Simic, B. Deljanin. New York Diamonds and Business Jewellery Magazine, 2006.
Conference paper: ‘Characterization of Sapphires from Yogo, Montana’, A. Cade, B. Deljanin, L. Groat, M. Epelboym. GIA Gemological Research Conference, San Diego, 2006.
Conference paper: ‘Study of HPHT-grown Diamonds by Advanced Optical Technologies Corporation (AOTC)’, B. Deljanin, D. Simic, M. Epelboym, A.M. Zaitsev. Poster and Oral presentation. European Diamond Conference, Porto, De Beers Research Conference, Cambridge, and Gemological Research Conference, San Diego, 2006.
Conference paper: ‘Identification problems and solutions for small (0.01 – 0.10 ct) Fancy color synthetic diamonds set in jewelry’, D. Simic. International Jewelry Conference, Bangkok, 2006.
Article: ‘Provo Rose, rare 10 ct pink diamond, the latest generation of processed pinks’, D. Simic, B. Deljanin. Idex Magazine, 2005.
Conference paper: ‘Cross Reference Identification System (CIS) – Database and Tool for Diamond Research’, D. Simic, B. Deljanin; Poster. European Diamond Conference, Lyon, and De Beers Research Conference. Oxford, 2005.
Article: ‘A Gemological Study of a Collection of Chameleon Diamonds’, T. Hainschwang, ‘D. Simic, E. Fritsch, B. Deljanin, S. Woodring, and N. DelRe. Gems & Gemology, Spring 2005.
Article: “IIb or not IIb (diamonds) that is the question?” D. Simic, S. Woodring, B. Deljanin. Rapaport, 2005.
Article: ‘Stability Test of Artificially Irradiated Colored Diamonds’, D. Simic, S. Woodring, B. Deljanin. Rapaport, 2004.
Article: ‘Processed Pinks’, D. Simic, S. Woodring, B. Deljanin.Rapaport, Nov. 2004.
Conference paper: ‘Use of chatodoluminescence techniques for the separation of gem-quality type IIa natural, HPHT-treated and lab-created diamonds (HPHT and CVD)’, B. Deljanin, H. Kanda, J. Ponahlo, D. Simic, E. Fritsch; Poster. European Diamond Conference, Lago di Garda, 2004.
Conference paper: ‘Identification of CVD gem-quality, single crystal diamonds, as grown and HPHT- treated’, B. Deljanin, T. Hainschwang, E. Fritsch, J.P. Chalain, H. Kanda, J. Ponahlo, D. Simic, M. Krzemnicki, M. Akaishi, R. Linares; Oral presentation. ICNDST – Tokyo and De Beers Research Conference, Warwick, 2004.
Conference paper: ‘New challenge for jewelry industry: Laboratory-grown CVD gem-quality diamonds’, B. Deljanin, D. Simic. R. Linares; Oral presentation. Material Research Conference, Boston, 2003.
Article: ‘Update on study of CVD diamonds’, B. Deljanin, T. Hainscwang, e. Fritsch. Jewellery News Asia, December 2003 (English and Chinese).
Article: ‘HPHT-processed diamonds from Korea’ D. Simic, B. Deljanin. Gems & Gemology, Vol. 39, Fall 2003.
Conference paper: ‘Characterization of type IaB diamonds under High Pressure High Temperature Treatment (HPHT)’, B. Deljanin, E. Fritsch; Oral presentation. European Diamond Conference, Budapest, 2001.
Conference paper: ‘A new HPHT process to modify color of natural diamonds’, B. Deljanin, E. Fritsch; Poster. European Diamond Conference; Porto, 2000.
Booklet: ‘Changing the Color of Diamonds: The High pressure High Pressure Explained’, B. Deljanin, G.E. Sherman. EGL USA, 2000.
Conference paper: ‘Classification and Heat Treatment of Geuda sapphire at Ratnapura, Sri Lanka’, B. Deljanin; Poster, GIA Symposium, San Diego, 1999
Elena Deljanin, M.Sc., CGmA, FGA
- Considered an expert in the grading and classification of rough diamonds.
- Researcher on morphology of diamonds from different sources.
- Professional gemologist with extensive experience in scientific analysis of gemstones.
- Mineral and ore identification.
- Highly skilled in the use of traditional gem-testing instruments along with advanced spectrophotometers in detection of new diamond treatments (irradiation, HPHT)
- Experience on use of FTIR spectrometer for typing of diamonds and measuring amount of impurities in diamonds from Canada, China, Brazil, Russia, Western and South Africa.
- Instructor on “Rough diamond grading and evaluation program” in USA and Canada
- Master degree in Oceanography from St. Petersburg University , GIA Graduate Gemologist, Fellow of Gemmological Association of GB Diploma Program in Gemmology (FGA with distinction), Fellow of Canadian Gemmological Association
Publication and References
Rough Diamond Review (June 2004, November 2004), articles on “Interpreting Diamond Morphology” with three Russian mineralogists, V. Afanasiev, N. Zinchuk and V. Sonin.
13th European Diamond Conference, Italy (September 2004), abstract and poster on “Use of cathodoluminecsence techniques in study of gem-quality type II natural, HPHT treated and lab-created diamonds” with international team of scientists.
Canadian Diamonds (October 2004), article on “Polishing up on rough” with
B. Deljanin, Director of EGL USA Research.
Rapaport (December 2004), article on “IIb or not IIb-Blue diamonds-Natural, treated and laboratory created-examined with two analytical techniques” with Research Team at EGL USA group.
15th Goldschmidt Conference, May 2005, article on ”Kinetics of diamond oxidation at various oxygen fugacities” with Y. Fedorchuk, D. Canil, of Victoria University.